The Art Workers’ Guild was founded in 1884 by young architects and designers. Many of the prominent figures of the Arts and Crafts Movement were active in the first fifty years. The Guild operates as a club whose members are referred to as Brothers. Its principle of ‘learning by doing’ has spread through art education and has had a worldwide influence. A respect for quality, for craftsmanship, for the work of the hand, and a recognition of the healing, humane value of craftsmanship still characterises the Guild.